Critiques welcomed!
I shot this of my son at the spur of the moment. I love it! I know I should have raised my ISO and I am wondering if I should have focused on him or the candy canes but I am pretty happy with the emotion that it caught. :)
Nikon D40
f/1.8
1/50 sec
ISO 800
Focal Length 35mm






5 comments:
Hi Keara ~
Great photo and the Christmas bokeh is fabulous. I have read when a person or animal is in the photo focus on their eyes. (I can't also remember this when the pups are running past me). I think the ISO is fine.
Happy New Year!!
Great bokeh. I think you should focus on whatever you wanted to showcase. The candy canes? Your kid? You could have even tried & upped to 2.something so both he & the candy canes could be in focus. I agree that when I focus on my kids I use their eye. Either way, when your kid does something cute & you happen to catch it, then good on you!
I love the focus on the candy canes and the pretty bokeh tree lights!
First off, I love the name of your blog! Isn't that the truth!!
This photo is adorable! I too love his expression and agree with the girls above. If you want to focus on the candy canes then do it! If you want the focus to be on your son, you would want to put your focal point on his eye. I know it is hard with with kids, but if he had been holding the candy canes a littler further away from himself (arms stretched) it would be more obvious that they were the subject being focused on. Love the bokeh!!
I'm super impressed that you were able to get such a clear photo of the candy canes with your shutter speed at 1/50. If you had raised your ISO you would have been able to increase your shutter speed. A good rule of thumb is to try and not go below 1/125 when shooting people.
My only critique is that the white balance looks a little warm in this photo. It is probably due to the indoor lighting. My lights do this to my photo as well. Have you tried using custom white balance?? If not, I wrote a little tutorial on it a few months ago.
Again, this a beautiful photo with great composition!! Thanks for joining in the picture share :O)
I love the spirit of the picture, the candy cane "heart" and bokeh really make for a great holiday photo! I can't believe you shot this on the fly---looks carefully posed to me! Well done.
Post a Comment